“If it costs me my life to deny you—you possession-loving self, you praise-loving self—I’ll die gladly to be with Jesus forever.”
John Piper delivered a message at The Gospel Coalition’s 2019 National Conference titled “Unashamed to Be Scorned with Jesus.” Expounding on Mark 8:31–38, Piper clearly laid out the gospel—that Christ suffered, was rejected and killed, and rose again, and that the Father planned, prophesied, and performed it. As a response, Piper challenged listeners to five applications in evangelism.
- Tell unbelievers the news.
- Urge them to look at Jesus in the news.
- Warn them that to love this world—to love its possessions and to love its praise more than they love Jesus—will cost them their lives forever.
- Promise them in the name of Jesus that whatever must be denied in this life bears no comparison to the joy of being with Jesus for eternity.
- Make sure they know from the start that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom.